Thursday, October 20, 2011

Run and Cycle? How Do They Do It?

I see a bunch of my friends do the Strava 100 mile run challenge, and some just go for runs, even if they aren't in the Strava challenge.  I figured I need some just cross training, so why not. 

I went out to buy some running shoes, and I figured I can go there, just pick one out and be done with.   Oh no no no.  Go to Sports Basement first, and they have cross trainers, stability, trail running, and one other type, which I can't remember at this point.  How complicated can you get?  I then went to REI, which separated them into cross and running.  That's a little better, so I finally got something that was a hybrid of the two.

Ok, now I have my running shoes.  I go out for a jog.  Went out for a 2.7 mile ride, and wow,  my quads were aching and screaming.  So I figure give it a day's rest and all will be fine, right?  Wrong!  Gingerly walking, where every ankle move, every lift if the leg, was a major ordeal.

I started to think about my triathlon friends ... how do they do it?  Here I am, triple crown winner,  able to do 200 miles on the bike, 5 times, and I am such a wimp jogging for 3 miles.  By Wednesday, I can finally walk without feeling anything ache.  I have even more respect for triathletes, and more respect for those that do a double century on one day, then turn around to run a marathon the next day.  Oy.

I guess I'm kinda recovered at this point.  Bohlman LKHC is Saturday, 3 days away.  No running till after that.  Will go for some trainer rides till then.  We'll see how my legs are by then.

3 comments:

Red Rider said...

I don't know how people ride X miles then run Y miles immediately after. It's enough for me to run one day and ride the next. And I'm no triple crown winner, either. As for running, the first couple weeks resulted in foot/ankle/knee pain, alternating, but that was from lack of use of those muscles/connective tissue. Keep at it & you'll adapt.

Ronald Ng said...

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go for a light jog at work, just to keep the running muscles in some state of memory.

Knotty Carl said...

I start by doing walk/jogs, (mostly brisk walks at first) after a couple weeks, start doing more jogs than walking.

Hey Ron, you know those foam massage rollers? they work pretty good to get the aches out faster.

I think Chris Phipps used to run and bike a lot, he may have some tips.