So the first event on my calendar is done (even though it's not cycling related). I completed my first 10k ... woohoo.
I met up with my co-workers Robertsen and Cesar at Cesar's house then carpooled over (race organizers were encouraging that, since there was limited parking at the start). We got near the park entrance, but parking was already full. Had to go to overflow parking about a mile away. There were a lot of people at overflow parking, and some may not even make it to the race on time, so they let the half marathoners cut to the front of the line. They should have told everyone to just park in overflow, and take shuttles to the start. For those that had ideas, it's about 2 miles to the start.
The weather was gorgeous. The sun was out, blue skies, and you couldn't ask for a better day for this run.
Cesar darted out in front, and wouldn't see him till the finish. Robertsen and I pretty much ran together, and were about the same pace. I kept focusing on a jogging pace, while Robertsen had to walk some, then run, then walk. Everyone has their own style.
The course started out on grass and dirt trail, but after 2 miles, we were running on pavement. That's not the best for knee joints, but hey, HTFU. I do they my joints were getting fatigued around the 4 mile mark, but was glad to get on hard packed dirt trail.
The turnaround at 4.5 miles was a welcome sight. Water, bananas, ... good to go.
The mile markers they had were confusing. Since they had 5k, 10k, and half marathon distance markers. They marked the distance in miles, so when I saw the 10k sign, and it said 4, I thought it meant 4 km, not 4 miles. I finally realized when I got to the 5 mile marker, it was giving me distance in miles and not km. That gave me some inspiration ... I only had 1.3 miles to go, not 5 more km, like I had thought.
Robertsen was definitely the stronger runner at this point. I made it a point to try to keep him within striking distance. We finished the run together. My official time was 1:25:47. My Strava time was off, because I accidentally hit the pause button.
Now, a day later, and my joints are feeling the effects of the pounding. My body feels like it has gone through a double century. I'll try to go for a light spin later today.
I'm glad I did this run. It was a lot of fun, but painful afterwards. I had a hard enough time with a 10k run ... I can't imagine doing a full marathon.
Now that the run is done, time to shift my focus on cycling. Two months till Solving Double. Time to get those all day miles in.
I met up with my co-workers Robertsen and Cesar at Cesar's house then carpooled over (race organizers were encouraging that, since there was limited parking at the start). We got near the park entrance, but parking was already full. Had to go to overflow parking about a mile away. There were a lot of people at overflow parking, and some may not even make it to the race on time, so they let the half marathoners cut to the front of the line. They should have told everyone to just park in overflow, and take shuttles to the start. For those that had ideas, it's about 2 miles to the start.
The weather was gorgeous. The sun was out, blue skies, and you couldn't ask for a better day for this run.
Cesar darted out in front, and wouldn't see him till the finish. Robertsen and I pretty much ran together, and were about the same pace. I kept focusing on a jogging pace, while Robertsen had to walk some, then run, then walk. Everyone has their own style.
The course started out on grass and dirt trail, but after 2 miles, we were running on pavement. That's not the best for knee joints, but hey, HTFU. I do they my joints were getting fatigued around the 4 mile mark, but was glad to get on hard packed dirt trail.
The turnaround at 4.5 miles was a welcome sight. Water, bananas, ... good to go.
The mile markers they had were confusing. Since they had 5k, 10k, and half marathon distance markers. They marked the distance in miles, so when I saw the 10k sign, and it said 4, I thought it meant 4 km, not 4 miles. I finally realized when I got to the 5 mile marker, it was giving me distance in miles and not km. That gave me some inspiration ... I only had 1.3 miles to go, not 5 more km, like I had thought.
Robertsen was definitely the stronger runner at this point. I made it a point to try to keep him within striking distance. We finished the run together. My official time was 1:25:47. My Strava time was off, because I accidentally hit the pause button.
Now, a day later, and my joints are feeling the effects of the pounding. My body feels like it has gone through a double century. I'll try to go for a light spin later today.
I'm glad I did this run. It was a lot of fun, but painful afterwards. I had a hard enough time with a 10k run ... I can't imagine doing a full marathon.
Now that the run is done, time to shift my focus on cycling. Two months till Solving Double. Time to get those all day miles in.



5 comments:
I'm not used to seeing you without a helmet but congrats!
Way to go!
So when you running the Bay to Breakers, the Dipsea and finally the Boston?
I think I'm going to focus on long distance cycling now, so no plans for Bay to Breakers ... might consider a duathlon
Your making me think of running again Ron. Used to run a while back but since I gained fat, I would feel like a pile driver stomping down the dirt!
Post a Comment