Monday, February 27, 2012

Training is in full swing ... I think

Finally, I was able to get what I think is a good weekend's worth of training for Solvang Double.  True, I didn't get in a 100+ mile ride, but I think I got a good mix in.  I got in 75 miles on Saturday, 60 miles on Sunday, with ample hill climbing on both days.  I think next weekend, I'll amp up the Saturday ride to 100+, and a true recovery ride on Sunday.

Saturday, I did a solo ride, which went out to Los Gatos, and climbed Hicks, then Metcalf onto San Felipe.  It was a pleasant day ... sunny, but the wind was really howling.  Luckily, it didn't affect my climbing of Hicks.  The climb up Hicks felt good ... it was not the best time, but not the worst either.  This is a good sign that I'm starting to get back into shape.



I looked up at Mt. Umunhum, and had thoughts of going up there.  There was not a cloud in the sky, but as I mentioned before, the winds were really howling.  But what I wasn't sure of is how the Metcalf climb should be.  I decided I should save some in the tank for that climb.

Descending down the other side of Hicks was not too bad ... I know some didn't like to descent down that side due to the terrain, but I didn't really feel it was all that bad.  One thing that did concern me was amount of available water (since there was none climbing up Hicks).  I was able to find a water fountain at Almaden Quicksilver Park.  Filled up there, then proceeded down to McKean, before heading over to Metcalf via Bailey.



McKean is a nice seldomly traveled road, nice and flat.  I had a really stiff tailwind, so that was nice.  How could I tell?  I stopped off a Calero Reservoir, and wow, it was hella windy.

Get to Bailey, and there was a really nice downhill.  Fast ... nice way to lead up to the next big hill climb, eh?


Metcalf was hard ... it was 2 miles of 10-13 % grades.  At the top was the motorcycle park, and to my surprise, not many motorcycles buzzing me up this hill.  I did see a whole lot of cars transporting motorcycles up there.  That got me wondering, why they just don't ride up the hill up there ... it's not like they have to exert too much energy.  Once I got up to the top, I descent for a while, but there was still a bunch of rollies on San Felipe.  This is one of those annoying hills, where you aren't anticipating more climbing, but there is significant rolling hills to be done.

By the time I finished on Saturday, I acccumulated 75 miles, 4923 ft climbing .. and more importantly, an epic Strava Suffer score, 277.  Hell ya!



Sunday, I got a chance to ride with Marco/Ruth on the tandem, and Ramon.  It's been a while since I rode with them, so it was good to hook up.  Marco and Ruth's plan was to go up and over Page Mill, down to Pescadero, then back up from the coast on Tunitas Creek.  When I mapped it out, this would have been over 90 miles, and 9000 ft climbing ... er, that's a bit much, especially after my Hicks-Metcalf sufferfest.  So I joined them on the Page Mill climb, and went down W. Alpine with them.



We were all suffering from the winter off-season, so we were all in the same boat ... slow and easy.  I was surprised my legs still had something left in it after Hicks-Metcalf ... there is hope after all.  What's more encouraging is that I didn't have to stop on any climbs on both days ... at least not due to exhaustion.

I split off from the group at Pescadero Creek Rd/Alpine.  Marco/Ruth and Ramon continued down to the coast, while I continued on Hwy 84, and headed back to W. OLH.

By the time I got home, I got 60 miles, and 5000 ft climbing.  I was tired and exhausted, but it felt good.  My body is getting used to the long distance torture, a feeling I haven't felt since last September. I'd say this was a successful weekend ... already looking forward to next weekend, and more long distance suffering.

2 comments:

Hil said...

Way to go! I've been trying to ride more. You and Helene inspire me.

Unknown said...

Hey Ron, some great mileage there. You should be fine for Spring. Great to hear you all are riding together. Hoping to do a ride with you when the weather get's warmer. I have a few new friends here that are cyclists that have never ridden up Diablo! I'll be planning a ride up there soon and let you know.