Montebello is such a joy to ride ... it is not closed off to traffic, but it is so lightly traveled, that it is just waiting for cyclists to ride it. There were maybe 4 cars on my way up, and a motorcyclist, but otherwise it was me, the road, my ipod in one ear, and the sound of birds chirping, dogs barking, and me breathing, while trying to climb this hill.
Near the bottom of the hill, I pass Pichetti Winery. I pass by it all the time, but never have I gone in to visit, and do any wine tasting. One of these days, I should just drop in there, but don't think wine tasting and cycling will mix in too well. I always did find it an odd place for a winery (in the middle of a 5.1 mile, 2500 foot climb), but at least it's at the first 500 feet of the climb.
I started to really strain myself, and after the toughest part of the climb, I could feel some fatigue set in on my lower back. Time to ease off a little bit. It's a good thing the grade is starting to level off (to the point where I could shift into my middle chain ring).
While I was in cruising mode, I decided to take a little video too. Now this is while I am climbing too. It's hard climbing, and taking a video at the same time. I was trying not to breath too hard, but still keep balance, and keep a steady hand, so that the video wasn't too shaky.
I had enough flash space to record longer, but I didn't want to bore the viewer ... hahaha
It was starting to get dark, so I decided to turn around after I got about 2000 foot climbing in. On the way back, on Stevens Canyon, I see what looks like a bike on a stand, just sitting there. I get closer to it, and it's actually a bike memorial for Kristy Gough and Matt Peterson, who was killed by a CHP driver who accidentally fell asleep at the wheel. It was shocking to hear it happen, and what's worse, it was on my birthday. That was truely a sad day for cycling in the Bay Area. I stayed here for a few moments of silence in honor of our fallen fellow cyclists.
It started getting me to contemplate about fate, and how much we roll the dice when we are out there riding our favorite routes. It makes me thankful that we are able to ride, and I believe Kristy and Matt would prefer us to be out there, just enjoying the ride, not letting an accident like this deter us.
Sorry for getting a little emotional ... I just had to put my thoughts down here. Rest in peace, Kristy and Matt.
For more pics from my ride, click here.
2 comments:
Hey! I still have yet to ride Montebello, let alone some of the other favorites. I keep missing you and Ramon's rides down there cause you start to ealy...Maybe a lazy man's Sunday ride one of these weekends and we'll start late.
I think the memorial is nice, but a part of me wish's they had waited the traditional full year of grievance to give it more impact...Then I'm Irish so I'm stuck in my traditions
later dude!
Pinchetti is a lovely winery, and they have peacocks roaming the grounds. And they make a very nice Viognier. Well worth a stop.
Post a Comment