Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Goodbye 2011 ... What a Great Year

Wow, is it that time of the year already?  It seemed just like yesterday that I was planning for my 5 doubles, and wondering how the heck am I going to accomplish this?

It didn't start out too good.  The first was Camino Real in February.  I probably went out too hard as I wasn't feeling the best half way through, but at least it wasn't raining ... until mile 130 that is.  Nor just rain, but hail.  Plus, getting lost in the dark, with pouring rain .... I was tempted to quit so many times, but my phone was running low on batteries.  I guess that forced me to finish it.

After finishing this, everything else should be easy.  Next one was Solvang, and it rained for 130 miles.  Well hell, I endured freezing rain and hail, so this should be just an annoyance.  I finished that one alright, and felt much better than in previous years.  I think the pain and experience of riding through hail and rain for an extended distance definitely prepared me for this.

Those were the hardest of the year, and the rest of the doubles I finished without much ordeals.  In a way, I'm glad I had such a difficult first double, as it made the harder doubles easier, if that makes any sense.

I was nervous about Davis, as the last time I rode it, I DNF at mile 135.  It was 105 F and suffering from heat exhaustion.  This time the weather cooperated, and got through it.  Wow, 3 down and 2 more to go.

Grand Tour was a lot of fun.  I rode with my friend Steve, and a bunch of friends, making the ride be actually fun.  I was so proud to ride with him as he completed his 100th double (while I was just finishing my 10th).

Knoxville was the 5th and last of the year.  I didn't have to worry about any cutoff time, but just keep pedaling and just finish it.  When I finally finishes it, I couldn't believe it.  I had actually accomplished my goal of 5 doubles for the year.

After completing those, I got my gold triple crown jersey.  All this just to get a full zip jersey?  Wow, that's a really hard way to get a jersey (and it wasn't even free).



After completing Knoxville, couple weeks later, I went ahead and did Levi's Gran Fondo.  I couldn't register early enough to get in for the full Gran Fondo, so just did the metric century.  It was amazing to ride with 7500 other riders, and having a full escort for the first 30 or so miles of the ride.  I am definitely doing this in 2012, and will register early enough to do the full Gran Fondo.

I definitely tailed off my riding at the end of the year.  After doing 5 doubles, and numerous hilly centuries, I feel I needed to curtail my mileage.  Totals for the year ... 6544 miles, 388k ft climbing.

So what's in store for 2012?  Well, to start off with, Gran Fondo ... and this time, register early enough to be in for the full century.  I'm also going to try running.  I was originally going to do the LA Marathon, but figured that I haven't run much, so I'm going to ease it up, and do 10k Coyote Hills at end of January. After that, then focus on cycling.  My double schedule I'm planning for include Solvang, Grand Tour, and Knoxville.  Additionally, I may do either Alta Alpina (Death Ride alternative) or Climb to Kaiser.  We'll have to see about that.  And to cap off 2012, a San Diego bike tour right after Christmas.

So goodbye 2011, it was a lot of fun.  Cheers to 2012 ... here we come.

1 comment:

Helene said...

This next year seems to be the year of years... Cheers and best always!!