Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday the 13th wasn't that bad now was it?

Whoa, low and behold, it is Friday the 13th.  Not that I'm superstitious at all, but just thinking about it is kinda freaky.  I happen to have Friday the 13th off (in fact, I have this odd schedule this month, working Sunday through Thursday, so Friday/Saturday is my weekend for the month of July).

I didn't do anything different from the normal weekend (if we consider Friday the weekend).  Since the tour is on, I watch that till the end.  Then, I sit around, debating for hours on where I should ride.  I've decided to do Santa Cruz Mountain Challenge again this year, so I think doing Zayante should be a nice trainer.  So pack up the gear, put the bike in the car, and I'm ready to go.

I get to Lexington Dam, and one of the main parking lots actually has paid parking there.  Whoa, good thing I checked before leaving.  Okay, re-park in another dirt parking area.  Take out the bike, look at my bottle cage, where my pump should normally be, and it's not there.  D'oh.  I know exactly where it is ... on my other bike.  Crap!  I'm not about to risk riding without a pump, especially in an area where it is lightly traveled, and not really close to any bike shops.  So back I go back home.



So at least I didn't get any flats, no mechanicals, but the original idea for my ride did have to get scrapped.

Get home, decide to wait till after lunch to go for a short ride.  I go out around 1 pm, then do Mora, then across Rancho San Antonio Park, before climbing Montebello.  I was really struggling today.  Some days you have it, and some days you don't.  Now I did install a different saddle, Fizik Arione, and the surface area is a little more round.  My reaction?  Pain.  My butt was really hurting, and maybe that translated to my uberly slow time up Montebello this time.  I haven't gone this slow in ages ... over 1 hour ... about 15 minutes slower than my previous time.

So there were no catastrophes on this day, but I was really slow.  Oh, one thing I did discover ... remember how I said I'd ride after lunch?  Well, I didn't eat lunch.  D'oh!  Friday the 13th?  Nah, just a really odd coincidence.  I didn't see any black cats, and no ladders to crawl under.  Just bad mojo, that's all.



No comments: