Sunday, November 27, 2011

Freak Injury While Running on the Office

I was doing pretty good with alternating days for running and cycling for a while.  In fact, at one point, if you look at my Strava data, I had equal number of running days as I had cycling days.

Last week, while I was in the office on a Saturday, I had to go back and forth between my cubicle and the lab.  It was for enough where I decided to jog over.   I had my running shoes on, so no big deal, right?  Wrong.  Suddenly, I felt a jarring point on the back of my leg by my calf.  Ouch!  It was bad enough where I had to walk with a limp.

Just to give you an idea how bad it was, I could flex my ankle without suffering any pain.  So I had to walk with a limp for a few days.  I put some tiger balm on, but didn't help too much.  Heat pad made it felt good, but I don't think it improved anything.

I gave it a rest for a while, then did a local climb up Montbello.  I could tell I didn't have the strength in my legs I normally have and I felt winded about 3/4 the way up.  Plus, this was my slowest time up to the school.

After  a few days, I decided to walk over to Starbucks.  I then felt my calf feels pretty good so let's do a slow jog.  After about a half mile, the pain started again.  That's not good.  I had to limp back from Starbucks,  about a mile.  Ok, time to lay low and get fat.

So I rested some more, and did some flat spinning, and I mean flat.  How about 30 miles and 300 feet of climbing?  Definitely not getting high marks on the Strava Suffer score, but still getting kudos from the gang.  Thanks guys!

I feel I can kneel down in a crouch, but still need my hands to balance myself.  God, is this what it's like to get old?  I don't like it.  I guess I'll take it easy for a while.  I shouldn't have signed up for the Strava Turkey Challenge.  I'm not going to get anywhere near the 9000 calorie goal.  Oh well.

1 comment:

TJKnight said...

Go see a doc Ron. Sounds like a muscle tear.