Sunday, March 11, 2012

Catching up with Old Friends from WW

This weekend was kind of a catching up with old friends weekend.  As I was contemplating my next training ride, I saw that Western Wheelers (WW) was doing a 100 mile ride starting in Pacific Grove in Monterey.  I haven't ridden in that neck of the woods, so it would be good to ride in that area, do another double century training ride, and catch up with old friends.

The ride starts at 8:30 am, so I left here around 7 am.  At least this will give me a good full day of activity (not having to worry about what am I going to do the rest of the day).

I had no idea what the route was ... all I knew was that it would be 100 miles, and roughly 7000 feet of climbing.  With this uncertainty, I went ahead to packed a banana, 2 Clif bars, a Clif Blok, Clif Shot Roks, and Hammergel.  Actually, I never tapped into my 2nd Clif bar, and didn't even touch my Clif Blok or Clif Shot ... so much for preparation, eh?  I also forgot to take some e-pills.  I'm losing it!

Anyhow, we went out along the coast, and rode through famous 17 Mile Drive, before heading inland, and then some rollies.  Ugh, rollies are painful, but something we all must endure through.  I was hanging in with the group (and it was a fairly big group, ~ 15 riders), until we got to our first significant climb, which was San Benancio.  I got way behind, to the point where I couldn't see anyone ahead of me.  I was riding solo for a good long stretch.  Eventually, Mike, the ride leader, circles back, and acts as a guide.  The next long climb was Laureless Grade, and I was still laboring well behind Mike.  I wasn't suffering through any pain, it's just that I wasn't climbing that well.



Finally, get to lunch in Carmel Valley Village, and had to get a quick sandwich and scarf it down.  Who knows how long the group had been sitting there at lunch ... I probably should have packed a sandwich, but oh well.  Maybe next time.

Afterwards, we climb Carmel Valley Road some more, but I felt my climbing legs were coming back.  Maybe it just took time for my legs to get warmed up ... 50 miles for my legs to warm up?  At least I wasn't the last one to roll into the next stop, which was an old country store.

The next climb awaits us, Cachagua ... that was a stiff climb, and I had fair warning about this.  That's enough for me to get into my granny, and just pedal ... not pushing it here, especially with 63 miles already logged.



This was the last major climb of the day, and now all that's left is a flat 30 miles back to Pacific Grove.  It was good to get into a paceline, as this was a lot of headwind, and doing this alone would suck big time.  We returned through Carmel, and that was a very scenic return, hugging the coastline.  Here's a little glimpse of it.


When we got back to the cars, we only had 99.6 miles ... gotta get past the 100 mile barrier, and I realized I didn't get any coastline pics.  Aha, this is how I'll get up to 100 miles! :)


I have to admit, my legs don't feel as thrashed as last week, after a similar distance and hill climbing.  Perhaps repetitive long distance rides are building up my stamina.  One could only hope.



I went ahead and did a Sunday recovery ride with Laura, who was on the ride also.  Our legs tired, and without much power, so we took an easy pace up Montebello ... easy up Montebello??? Well, it was a recovery ride.  Didn't break any speed records, and way far off any personal bests.  The rain didn't arrive, so all we had to content with was overcast and clouds ... which meant it was pretty damn cold up at the top.  However, it did feel good just to loosen up the muscles in the legs.



Rain is expected during the week, so I'll have to get a ride in whenever I can.  Monday looks promising, but Tuesday may be a little iffy.  Now that the time change has occurred, after work rides may be a little more doable.

I feel a lot better now about my double century shape.  I just gotta keep at it, and hope this fitness will last the next two weeks before Solvang Double.  Next week will most likely not be a century ... I'll reel it back a little bit ... maybe a 70 miler instead.

No comments: