I was all prepared to spend a weekend on the trainer, but I really hate being on the trainer. It is really boring, especially if you want to be on there for an hour at a time. The sufferfest videos are great, but even then, I probably last at best, 50 minutes, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the heavy rain subside by the time I woke up on Saturday.
I waited till the grounds dried a little bit, and took a chance and took a spin out. I was all decked out in winter weather clothing, with weather-proof booties, thermal gloves, skull cap covering my ears ... just hope I wouldn't get too wet out there.
It was St. Patrick's Day, and although I am not Irish, I figured I should get into the spirit, and the only green jersey I could find was an old LA Sheriff - Chevolet jersey. I originally bought this when I was living back in LA (> 13 years ago), and it still fits me pretty good. As my friend Bill says, "That's older than old". Hey, it's green.
Since I didn't want to get caught out in the rain too much, and I am tapering, I already decided this would be a short ride, so up Montebello to the school, then down to Mt. Eden, hit Saratoga Summit, then back home. Climb up Montebello wasn't too bad ... no bad wind to speak of, and it wasn't too bad at all ... really.
After finishing Montebello, Mt. Eden, and Saratoga Summit, I was heading south and was contemplating doing one last hill, Kennedy/Shannon loop. However, as I was heading down, I felt a few drops, so I decided to head for home. Closer to home, I'm still feeling a few drops here, a few drops there, but nothing really bad. So I've already decided to call it a day, so I was hoping that it would at least have a downpour, so my quitting effort would be legitimate. But no, it was like the sky was spitting at me. Oh well, time to get in and warm up.Even though it wasn't raining, I wanted to keep my jacket on ... I didn't want to stop, put my jacket on, while I'm in the middle of a climb.
There were a number of people coming down OLH. In general, I don't like descending OLH, because there are a lot of people that are climbing OLH, and secondly, descending Hwy 84 into Woodside is a great descent.
At the summit, it wasn't too bad at all. I've been up here, where the fog was really thick, and you couldn't see anything. At least this day, there was good visibility ...
However, as I descended down to the store on 84&35, it was really cold. The air temperature was around 46 F, and add wind chill, it was freakin' cold. I'm not looking forward to the descent into Woodside, as there was no sun to really keep me warm either. It's a good thing I have my booties on.
By the time I got back, I logged in 48 miles ... not too bad for a rain soaked weekend. Was a bit windy too, but it's good for training for bad weather conditions for Solvang.
So am I ready for Solvang? Well, I'm not in the shape I would like to, but at least I've got the base miles leading up to it:
4 weeks Prior: 74 mi/4923 ft, 60 mi/5091ft
3 weeks prior: 110 mi/6278 ft, 38 mi/2256 ft
2 weeks prior: 100 mi/7282 ft, 32 mi/3019 ft
1 week prior: 31 mi/2313 ft, 48 mi/2900 ft
Solvang, here I come ... can't wait for Saturday!
No comments:
Post a Comment