Monday, March 26, 2012

Solvang Double Lucky No. 13 and Windy

Solvang is my first double of the year, and my buddies from the East Bay, Dan and Curtis are doing it with me.  Now that I finally have my gold triple crown jersey, I feel like part of the club.

Solvang is fun to do, and it's probably the most popular.  When I do Solvang, it's like one great big reunion ... all my doubles friends are here (either riding it, or working it).

Dan and Curtis had some issues getting to the start the night before, so I went ahead and met up with them at 5 am on Saturday.  They actually drove from the Bay Area at 9:30 pm Friday night ... damn, it's hard enough to drive over, but ride a double century after that?  That god they stayed the night after the double was done.

A bunch of my friends started later, like 6 am, and some even at 6:30 am ... I could never do a double that late ... I would fear I wouldn't be able to finish in time and get credit for it (but I'm not going to discuss that issue, and don't get me started on that).

This year, my strategy was to hang in with a large group, while it's still dark (I made a wrong turn last year in the dark).  By the time we did the climb over Foxen Canyon, it started to get a little lighter, which is good, because that's when we start the descent.

After the 1st rest stop, I hooked up with my friends Terri and Ken.  It was good to ride with them (while I could) ... Terri's doing FC 508, and Ken was riding his fixie ... it was just a matter of time before I would drop off the pace (somewhere near Arroyo Grande).  After getting to the 2nd rest stop, I understand why I got dropped ... stomach problems.  

A couple of Ibuprofens, some electrolyte pills, and I'm ready to go.  By this time last year, it was sprinkling, and it wouldn't let up for the rest of the day.  The sun was out, and it was almost time to take off the arm warmers ... but I wanted to keep them on, not having to worry about stuffing them in my pocket.  It turned out to be a very pleasant day for a double ... until we changed directions.

After getting into Morro Bay, we headed south, and then we get the headwinds.  Somehow, I was able to muster up enough energy to sustain a fairly good pace to lunch.  I felt good about my first half of the double ... did the first 100 in about 6:24, so that would be a good time.

After we pass Pismo Beach, and Oceano, and the climb up Strawberry Hill, the wind really kicked up.  The rest stop at Guadalupe couldn't come soon enough, and soon, I found myself riding solo.  Several groups would pass by me, giving me a chance to hop onto the paceline, but I had no energy to sustain the pace they were going.  I eventually met up with them at Guadalupe (I missed this rest stop the last time).

After Guadalupe, I continued on, but if we thought the wind was bad, we haven't seen anything yet.  After leaving Guadalupe, it took me about 1.25 hours to go the next 10 miles ... and it was fairly flat.  My cadence through this stretch was barely reaching 50 rpm, and I had thought so many times to stop and take a rest ... but if I stopped, I might not continue on.  Then, I see Craig and Lynn on the tandem approach me ... Lynn says "hop on" ... good thing they came along when they did.  I was able to maintain about a 10-12 mph pace in that train, and that really helped me as we approached Los Alamos.

While I was struggling through there, I was thinking it must have been 30-35 mph winds ... I've reports of 20-25 mph .... and the weathermen preducted 10-15 mph ... I think I like my figures better ... it was just tortuous.  I think I'd prefer last year's rain to this year's winds.

I probably stayed a bit longer than I should have in Los Alamos, but I needed to catch my breath and recover (I seem to always take a bit longer at the last rest stop).  

Onwards we go, and Dan was feeling a bit frisky to start.  The road leading up to Alisos Canyon was really rough, and almost like cobblestones.  We ended up taking the entire road, and thank goodness no cars on this road.  I ended up catching up with Dan, and we climbed Alisos Canyon together.

As we turn onto Foxen Canyon, I hear a loud creaking ... it turned out it was the windmill cranking ... uh oh, folks ... the wind may be picking up again.

As we climb Foxen, Curtis comes up from behind us, and he has a second wind, and just powers it up the last climb on Foxen.  At this point, after 180+, we have no juice in our legs, and spin our way to the last climb of the double on Ballard.  It was a crazy last 5-10 miles, as Ballard has some switchbacks, and some riders were maneuvering like it was daylight.  That was freaking me out a bit.  It was a good thing no one took a spill.  I think everyone knew this was the last stretch, and were making a final push to finish it off.

I got ahead of Dan and Curtis, and I just wanted to push on through to finish this thing.  I was tired, and I wanted to get it over with.  I eventually rolled up to the finish at a total time of 15:51.  That was really tough.  I'm glad I finished ... or survived it.

So this year, it was wind, last year it was rain ... what will it be next year?  Hopefully, it will be with neither, and just be a good double century ride.  We'll have to wait and see.



The following day, Lynn, Ron H, and I went for breakfast, and we were going to go to "The Little Mermaid", which is a tradition, but found it closed, and a conspicuous "For Rent" sign in the window.  Damn ... well, onto plan B ... Paula's Pancake House.  Not a bad plan B, I'd say.

So this is my 13th double ... wow, I can't believe I've done that many?  Imagine, there used to be a time where I would not even consider a double.  Now, I prefer it ... like I said before, "I'm in it to finish it".



3 comments:

Red Rider said...

That sounds so brutal and extremely difficult. Congrats on your finish! And your 13th to boot -- impressive!

Robert Ku said...

Great Job Ron!!

Wow almost a 16 hour ride. That is crazy.

I have a 34 mile ride coming up and I'm already scared..

Great job Ron!! you are an inspiration!.

Robert

Unknown said...

Ron, that's an impressive time even with all that headwind.
BTW, you guy's look great in the jerseys! very cool.
congrats!