I was hesitant to go to the TT stage this year, which is in Bakersfield. Not quite the prettiest area, but I figured, it's a world class event ... who cares where it is.
I couldn't decide until the morning, and by the time I left, I realized I wouldn't be able to catch the women's invitational TT. That's quite a shame ... it's one of the few times I'll be able to see Kristin Armstrong, who happen to win it easily.
I got there in time for the national anthem for the event ... and met up with Dante, who lives in Bakersfield. I don't envy his job ... was volunteering as Security. Standing out in the blazing sun ... today was definitely a day for water. I didn't notice what the temp was, but someone did say it was in the 100's.
The course was flat, with the exception of the beginning and end. The start had a steep fast swooping downhill, but from a physics standpoint, where you go down, you must come up.
Seeing a time trial is pretty relaxing ... almost like a lazy Sunday afternoon. Since it is a closed loop, I could watch the beginning, and run on over the finish to see everyone complete it. I was surprised at how easily I was able to get a good spot on the course, and with a few good shots.
After seeing a bunch of riders go out, I could tell which ones were serious about the TT, and who just wanted to complete it. But I guess it was pretty hot out there ... much easier to be a lounge chair critic than actually TT it in the blazing heat.
One thing about TT's ... you get to chit chat with your fellow cyclists, and talk shop. I was able to chat with a good friend of Tom Danielson ... it was fun to hear his stories of training with him. Gave me a deeper appreciation for him. But regardless, I'm still rooting for DZ.
And as it turned out, Captain America, DZ, burned this course, and no one came close to him. How does he get into such a tight tuck?

No comments:
Post a Comment