It had been a really long time since we got together for a ride, so this was a great reunion of sorts.
![]() |
| Pete, Lucy, Ramon, Eric, Ruth, and Marco |
Pete was on a single speed and he just powered up the mountain and left everyone in the dust. Eric and I maintained a pretty good pace, and we passed both tandems near the base of Diablo before the visitor's gate. However, Eric eventually passed me up.
Pete, Eric, and I re-grouped at the Ranger's Station, which is where the challenge ended. I was really pushing it hard up here, and it says I got a Personal Best (it was actually second best, at 39:20).
We saw Marco/Ruth continue up summit, so off we go.
I remember chatting with Pete, stating we both pushed it hard going up to the Ranger's station, and we'll take it easy going up to the summit ... right. Pete was able to catch up to Marco/Ruth, chatted for a while, then charged on ahead. I was able to get behind Marco/Ruth wheel briefly, but couldn't maintain the pace climbing. Eric was able to pass me up, but at least I had him in my sights. At some point, he hit the wall, and I was able to continue on past him.
I saw one mountain biker climbing from one of the trails, and he continued up the climb to the summit (paved road ... lol). He was climbing ahead of me, so I tried to use him to pace me up the hill. I was able to see Marco/Ruth, and they were probably 10 seconds ahead of me. When I finally got up to the wall, I was able to reel in the mountain biker. However, there was a car cruising up the hill behind me, so I had to veer to the right, and couldn't use the whole road to climb. I then caught up to the mountain biker, but I couldn't pass him, since the car was behind me. It turns out the car just wanted to cruise along side us, cheering us on. Oof, if I'd known that, I would have taken up the whole road. Oh well.
It was cold and windy up top, but the descent down wasn't too bad. There was a definite temperature difference by the time we got to the Ranger's station. By the time we got to the base, my allergies really hit me, and hit me hard. I limped along back to the cars at this point, sneezing, watery eyes, and turned a little puffy too. I decided not to take a picture of myself ... too gross. My energy was incredibly sapped.
It was a great ride, great company. Gorgeous day for a ride, although a bit windy at the top.


No comments:
Post a Comment