Sunday, January 11, 2009

Double Century Training ... Needs Work


After my abbreviated ride with SilentBen on his Dead End ride, I went ahead and led another 60+ mile, 6000+ foot climb ride. What better way to start off my double century training.

Some of the Gladiator regulars showed up ... Marco and Ruth, Chris (chrisoco), and Chris (ygduf). We waited around a little extra, to see if Ramon would show up. Before yesterday's ride, he said he would do it, but that was before we found out about his fall. He had a bunch of scratches, but that was about it. He did have to get a new helmet, so we are told.


I took the group on a slight detour through San Antonio Ranch Park. I told them there would be a surprise, but didn't tell them what type of surprise. Marco thought it would be some insane vertical climb ... yes, there was a climb, but it was pretty gentle. It was just a nice diversion, and nice alternative to Foothill Expy, especially when negotiating with freeway offramp traffic. We got to completely skip that ... woohoo!

It was a glorious day today, with forecast of temps of 70 F. There were a lot of riders on Montebello today. That was cool. On my climb on Montebello, my phone beeps me, indicating I have a voicemail. My phone tagged this as urgent, so I'm wondering what emergency is coming my way. It's Ramon ... he calls wondering where we are. It turns out he is climbing Montebello, and he was actually about 1/2 mile ahead of everyone. Ramon ... you are one tough hombre. But then again, I am not a bit surprised.

After a brief rest at the top, we descend down the hill, and onto the next big hurdle, Redwood Gulch. To get to Redwood Gulch, you have to go through Stevens Canyon, and it is a canyon. Everytime I go through here, the temperature drops by 10-20 degrees. It's a good thing I still had my arm and knee warmers, heavy gloves ... the air was crisp going through here.

I am once again trailing the pack going up Redwood Gulch, but since I am the leader, they'll have to wait for me ... hehehe. This is a steep climb, with stretches of 15-20% grades. So Montebello is not enough, I had to throw in Redwood Gulch. One observation ... there were plenty of cyclists making the climb up Montebello. On Redwood Gulch, we were the only ones out there. Is that a sign? Or is it that no one knows about Redwood Gulch ... nah, I guess it was just our day to do Redwood Gulch.

Once at the top, we make a right on Hwy 9, and start the grind up the hill. We continue on this highway till we get to the top at Skyline Blvd, 2000 foot elevation. At this point, my legs were lifeless ... I can't say they were led legs, but pretty close to it.

I kept it in my granny gear through the climb. I used Marco and Ruth on the tandem as a pacing guide for me up the hill. They had it pretty rough too, so I was not alone ... we just could not go any faster up this hill. But at least we made it.

We hang a right on Skyline, and continue onto rolly hills. After about 10 miles of rolly hills, we crest, and get a nice descent into Woodside. Before descending, I stop off at the scenic overlook near Clouds Rest Blvd. I just love that name. Actually, if you crossed the street on the other side, you could see out to the Pacific Ocean ... it's a pretty cool perspective.

The only bad thing about riding Skyline is all the crotch rocket motorcycles that us cyclists always have to deal with ... we were buzzed by a group of 8 riders, going at ungodly speeds ... I can't say they were going 100 mph, but it was pretty close to it. I guess the nice weather was bringout out all the motorcyclists out there ... they were out in force. Seems to be more than you would have on a typical summer weekend.

After a regroup at the intersection of Hwy 84 and Hwy 35, we descend down Hwy 84. That is one of my favorite descents, and I didn't have a whole line of cars breathing down my neck ... in fact, I think there was only one car behind me, and it wasn't that bad.

Next destination ... Woodside Bakery, where sugary pastries await us. Ramon was waiting all day for this, drooling with anticipation on devouring 1500+ calories ... he is taking no prisoners!

I think the sugary pastries may have re-charged me ... I was ready to get into a paceline with Marco, Ruth, Ramon, and Chris. Chrisoco rode on home, as he lives close to Woodside.

That made the rode going home fun. I think we were averaging 20-25 mph going home.

Okay, in retrospect, 60 miles, 4500 feet climbing on Saturday, 68 miles, 6900 feet climbing Sunday ... and the fact that my legs felt dead after Redwood Gulch, I realize I have a lot of work to do if I'm to be ready for Solvang Double in March. I think I may have to cut out some hill work in favor of longer rides and more miles. Oh the dilemnas of life ....

More pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/ronster/MontebelloAndBeyond#

No comments: