Saturday, January 10, 2009

Double Century Training starts ...

Solvang Double is coming up in end of March, and it is the beginning of January. I figured I need to get started on my long distance training, so I decided to ride to the start of the Dead End Hills ride, that Silentben led today. The ride was advertised as 40 miles, and 6000 feet climbing ... dang. Well, I looked at the route, and saw many opportunities for bailouts. So my plan was, and I'm glad to stay I stuck with it, was to ride to the start, and do the ride, up to the point where they start the out and back on Star Hill. At that point, I would break off, and do Swett Road, then ride on home.

When I started out this morning, I figured I should give myself a good 100 minutes to get there, so I left the house at 8:15 am. Just before leaving, I checked weatherunderground, and it was reporting Santa Clara with a temp of 34 F. Dang .... I knew the sun would come out and be shining by the time the ride started at 10 am. Reluctantly, I brought my heavier semi-goretex jacket, just to keep me warm at the start. I figure that when we descend Skyline, I will need it, so no big deal.

As it turned out, I made pretty good time. I arrived at the start at 9:40 am, so it took me under 1.5 hours. I wasn't pushing it either ... I had already logged in 17 miles, so by the time I finished, I would have gotten in 60 miles, so this is a good start.

We did our first out and back on Runnymede, and as usual, the gladiators ... Ben, Ramon, Marco, and Chris were way up ahead. I pulled up the rear, and at this point I knew everyone would be waiting for me. We double backed, and continued onto Kings Mountain. Once again, I crept back to my usual position ... in the back. The good thing here was I only got passed by one rider, so maybe my climbing is improving. However, knowing this is the only major climb I am doing, I figured I would keep pushing myself on this climb.

Although I didn't reach my max heart rate, I could still tell I was working hard, by how much strain my back is getting. One thing I should have done was to take some e-pills before the climb, but I guess I'll have to remember this next time. Near the top, I see Ramon coming down the hill, and doing my hill repeats. Actually, it was more to keep from getting cold at the top. When we got there, it was a little chilly, so I can understand that. A good sign is that when I got to the top, I didn't feel really exhausted or tired, or in pain. I guess that is a good thing.

We continued onto Tunitas, and then to Star Hill. When we got to the intersection of Swett, that's where we broke off from the rest of the group. I rode back with Ben's friend, who's name escapes me ... sorry dude! Anyhow, a short grind up the ramp on Swett, and then onto Skyline.

It was a gorgeous day, and not too many cars to contend with. I think I only had to contend with 3 cars on the entire descent, down Skyline then down 84, which is a pleasant surprise. I didn't have to worry about keeping to the shoulder as close as possible. Those are the types of descent you can really enjoy.

By the time I got back, I did get in 60 miles and 4600 feet climbing. Later, I found out Marco ended up with 65 miles, and 8000 feet climbing. I definitely would have been led legs if I did the whole ride. At least now I have enough to do my Montebello ride tomorrow ... yeah!!!!

No comments: