Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lunch on a rainy day

I'm visiting dad in LA this weekend, and I looked at the weather forecast before coming here, and I was expecting for rain rain and more rain. So that meant leaving my bike back home.

What's nice about visiting dad is getting back to reality, and acting like a normal human being ... i.e. non-cycling!!!! Spent the day doing errands, and dad always needs to eat on a strict schedule ... that being wake up ... breakfast ... 11:30 am lunch ... 5:30 pm dinner. So after taking dad to Kaiser, and getting some supplies at the hardware store, we noticed it's around 11:15 am ... and time for lunch.

We stopped by his favorite cafe, and had jook (or more commonly known as porridge) and chow fun. Hmmmm


I'm also starting to experiment with my camera, with my lofty hopes of actually being an artistic photographer. Yeah, right ... we'll see how far that goes. I think part of it too is understanding my camera. I've had this thing over a year, and didn't realize it had an over/under exposure setting. Sheesh ... it has been way too long since I really looked at photography seriously.

A friend of mine did tell me about some local camera clubs, but I looked at the web site, and some of the photos they take intimidate me .... I think before I join them, I need to be more comfortable with my photography. For now, I will use this blog as my guinea pig.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photos are great Ron, I've always enjoyed seeing them.

Yeah, I know, I got this Sony a couple years ago and it does hundreds of things but all I learned was how to turn it on, turn off the flash and change the batteries...LOL

To this day, I get the manual out and try to learn another thing or two. I've never tried all the presets for sunset, backlight etc.

Anonymous said...

Seems to take photos, one needs to move around a lot to explore the subject and with the bike shoes and limited time, makes exploring a lot harder to do. I just stop the bike, shoot and off again. Perhaps one day, I'll go just for the purpose of taking photos but not yet.

Ronald Ng said...

Thanks Carl for the kudos. Hearing it does wonders for my confidence.

I was one time looking at my old Olympus OM-2, and remembering how much control I had over everything, and how little control I have on these point 'n shoot cameras. That's what led me to finding out what the heck all these features do.

Sometimes, when I'm dropped like a "badly microwaved potato", it does give me chances to stop, admire the view, and take a few pics.

Anonymous said...

One day soon, I promised myself to go somewhere nearby with the User's manual and spend an hour or two trying each feature.

But, maybe I should just admit it, I need a camera with just three or four functions...lol This happens Ron when you become an old fart like me.