Monday, December 29, 2008

I'm Dangerous Shopping Solo

Somehow, I always fall into this trap. When I buy some gadget, I'm always trying to do my best to do comparison shopping. I can be such a geek sometimes when I shop for a gadget.

In this case, it's cell phones. My 2 year contract is up, and I am up for a phone upgrade. Now there is nothing wrong with my current phone, but I figure I should move with the times. I had been eyeing the iPhone for quite a while, but I just couldn't justify switching carriers, just to get the benefit of web browsing (I can do that simply enough on my Mac or PC). So I decided to look at the Verizon web site to see what choices I have.

I was playing around with my brother's Blackberry Pearl, and it is really slick. This fulfilled my minimal requirements, and that is google maps. I also found out, after the rebate, this would be a free upgrade. Woohoo! But I still wanted to view other options.

I went into the local Verizon dealer, with no intentions to come out of the store with a phone. No matter how many times I say that, it never works. God dang it ... I'm probably the most gullable customer ever. I did look at other phones, like Storm, and a few touch screen Samsungs, but we all knew what was going to happen ... my first inclination is the Pearl. One hour later, I walk out the store with a Blackberry Pearl.

So I guess I'll spend the next few days geeking out on my new toy.

At least now, if I lead a few riders through an area that I have no geographical knowledge of, we won't have to go into a Long's Drugs and buy a map ... you know, that paper thing that you unfold that gives you a picture of streets. Wow, getting a graphical layout on paper??? How quaint!

2 comments:

Mary Elizabeth (MErider) said...

LOL...you are too funny "geeking out?" You know, that isn't surprising, Ron. I do the same thing. Of course, I hate shopping, so I just get my mind set on something and go buy it. The BB Pearl is supposed to be great, so enjoy. :-)

Ronald Ng said...

Someone commented "I don't go shopping ... I go out buying". Perhaps that's what happens to me. LOL