Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Humbling of the Geek

Just because I'm such a geek when it comes to networking, it doesn't mean I'm an expert in everything computer related. I think it's funny, when someone hears I support network security, they automatically think I know database, web programming, computer programming, or anything that uses silicon (not silicone).

So last week, I was humbled by Pete ... I saw how he had playlist.com automatically play in the background whenever I went to his blog. I thought this was cool, so I found the google gadget, and I added it to my blog site. One problem ... it wouldn't play, unless you specifically clicked play. How bogus, dude! So I spent countless hours (up till 12 midnight, only having to get up at 4 am for work the next morning). Then, I was over at Pete's house for Thanksgiving, and he showed me how he added it. He basically copied the source code for the playlist player, and pasted it in the text gadget. Silly me ... I just added the playlist.com gadget directly in. Doh! Now I understand ... zinger, light bulb shines down on top of me, skies open, like duh! Time to get my head out of the sand! I guess being a little too geeky is detrimental to successful well being.

Now, I'm happy to report my playlist.com ordeal is completed ... I even added a youtube video using the source code on my own ... yippee!!!!!

Ok, now back to your regular scheduled programming, whatever that may be.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey mr. eclectic I like yer playlist...can't wait to meet pesky next weekend

Mary Elizabeth (MErider) said...

Ron, you're funny. And just so you know, Playlist wasn't intuitive to me either. It took some tries until I got it. I wish they had a bigger database though.