Sunday, November 16, 2008

Montebello Sundays

Today, I started what I hope will become a regular occurrence on NorCal BF. I'm actually taking a cue from my friends in SoCal, who has a bi-weekly Bagel Ride. The key here is it is a predictable route and predictable schedule. It was so successful, I decided to try it up here.

However, I couldn't find a way to organize a route close to a bagel shop, or any other type of eatery for that matter. So I threw that motif out the door. Instead, I chose on of my favorite rides, the climb up to the top of Montebello Blvd. I also took a play on the "Cyclism Sunday" and came up with "Montebello Sundays".

I led this from the Peet's Coffee Shop, in Cupertino, at the corner of Homestead and Foothill. We had a nice modest turnout for the first one. I won't always be around, so I'm hoping that others may pick up the slack when I'm not in town. Chris seems very interested to make this a regular event, so that's a good thing.

You couldn't ask for a better day weather-wise to inaugurate this. Blue skies, not very cold at all. We were climbing with short sleeves, and when we got to the top, it was actually hot.

As usual, I was the last one to the top of the hill. Once we got there, I saw my friend Norman at the top. He had started a little earlier, thinking that everyone would pass him. Well, I think he and I would have had good competition for being the last one to conquer the hill.

The hill had conquered the group pretty good. We don't think our legs were ready to do Redwood Gulch, so we did Mt. Eden instead, and followed Pierce, back on our way home. Good ride, good weather, and good company. Looks like this tradition has started off with a bang!

No comments: