It's Sunday, which means it's Montebello Sunday. This is my so-called "recovery" ride ... 5.1 mile 2500 foot climb, a recovery??? Yeah, I know, I have a warped sense of what a recovery ride should be.
The weather today was just gorgeous ... high somewhere in the high 50's, low 60's, with blue skies. I think we have a set of regulars for the Montebello Sunday rides ... Jeff, Rusty, and myself. True to form, Jeff climbs the hills like it was flat. Rusty is a little behind him, and I'm waaaay behind.
After doing Mt. Diablo yesterday, today's climb will be slow, and hopefully not as painful. I could tell from the first 500 feet of the climb, my legs were feeling the effects of Diablo. So I immediately shifted into my granny gear (I normally start with middle chain ring, then shift to granny after a mile).
I've done this climb so many times now, that I know every landmark on this climb. I could tell, when I pass the rusty gate, we are at about 2000 feet, and 500 feet to go to get to the top. This is also the point at which I see Jeff go down the hill, and climb the rest of it with me. That is so cool that he does that, and I do appreciate that. One of these days, we gotta get Pete to do this.
Got up to the top, and hardly any wind to speak of. In fact, it felt quite balmy at the top. I had my jacket in my saddle bag, and that's where it stayed. It was a complete contrast from yesterday's 65 mph wind gusts. It was peaceful and calm up here.
Totals for the day ... 33 miles, 3200 feet climbing. Got home just in time to watch the last minutes of the 49er's game ... unfortunately, it was enough time to see the entire Raider's game. I should have stuck to writing blogs all afternoon. lol
2 comments:
Dude, What an animal! I rode like a sack of crap today...eeechh! I'm taking tomorrow off for sure. Time to start prepping for the Pesky Penguin tour!
I gotta do something to keep up with you billy goats!
Post a Comment