When I finally got my parking situation all resolved, I started out on Patrician Way (basically getting to Linda Vista the hard way ... up). Since I had to make it a short ride, I figured I should make this a hard workout, so I deliberately kept it in the middle chain ring. No granny gear for this ride. We'll see how long that lasts.
With all these delays, I decided to pass on the Angeles Crest Hwy route, and do Emerald Isle again. Emerald Isle is steep, which gets up to 23% in spots, and yes, I'm still in my middle chain ring. At the summit, you get a nice view overlooking Hwy 2, or as the locals call it, the Glendale Freeway.
From there, it was a long fast and steep descent, before a few jogs, then heading back on Chevy Chase then another climb on Linda Vista over to Lida.
I was able to accomplish my goal ... climb these steep climbs with just my middle chain ring. Don't get any illusions ... I am not ditching my triple for a compact double ... just wanting to see if I can do it.


No comments:
Post a Comment