Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 22 Mt. Hamilton in the 90's #30daysofbiking

I kept up the daily rides and well on my way to the 30daysofbiking.  Commuting every day has made this goal a little easier.  Today, I decided to ride with Ramon and Lucy, on the tandem, doing Mt. Hamilton.  Today was going to be a hot one.  Donald was going to meet us along the way.

We met at the school on Kirk Ave at 9 am, and it was already hot at that hour when we got to the school. There was no need for jacket or knee warmers, and I just carried my arm warmers (all knowing it would stay in my jersey pocket).  Sunscreen was definitely needed today (luckily I had just enough for today).


It was a gorgeous day, sunny blue skies, no clouds, and no fog.  Those conditions are a little warm for an April ride.  There were a lot of cyclists out today, so this was a popular mountain today.

I met up with Donald at Grant Park, where we filled up water and used the bathrooms.  After a regroup, we forged on ahead.

I was riding with Donald till about 3-4 miles from the top.  I always seem to lose ground at that point, no matter what fitness shape I am in.  I guess it has to do with the ... oh I don't know .... 16 miles at 3000+ feet of climbing at that point?  No worries, not in a hurry anyways.

About 1 mile from the top, there was a bug swarm we had to contend with ... oh joy, not only do I have to worry about this climb, I have to worry not to inhale bugs, and swipe them from my arms.  Not fun, but I guess this is the type of climate that brings out the bugs.  I just had to keep my head down, and keep climbing, trying not to eat too much of them.

I finally get to the summit, and I see a large group of cyclists, hovering around the visitor's center at the Observatory.  All I wanted was to get inside, and gulp down a coke.  There were cyclists sprawled all over, and I just sat down, on the cold floor, let my legs cool down ... ahhh ... that felt good.  We must have spent a good 30-45 minutes there, but at least it cooled us down.  Ramon was mentioning the temp was 97 F just before the summit ... whatever it was, it was HOT!



I was originally going to ride over to the start from home, but something in me decided to be a little lazy, so I drove over.  I was also planning on doing both sides, but after seeing how hot it is, and how hard the climb was, I'm bailing on that idea, and just head back down.  This is, after all, the first 90 degree climbing day, so I wanted to go easy on my body today ... just not in great climbing shape.

No comments: